Submissions due: March 4, 2019
Initial notifications: Apr 4, 2019
Revised papers due: May 4, 2019
Final notifications: May 10, 2019
Final versions due: May 24, 2019
Publication date: July/Aug 2019
Hardware is the bedrock on which all computing systems are built. Recently developed hardware ideas for enhancing software security from both academia and industry hold significant promise to improve software security. At the same time, recent hardware attacks on current commodity hardware has shown hardware to be a weak foundation for building secure systems. As we enter the post-Moore’s-law era, there are significant questions surrounding what would make security techniques more practical.
IEEE Micro seeks articles on hardware enhanced security and privacy seeks papers on a range of topics, including but not limited to:
– Microarchitectural side-channel attacks and defenses; fault attacks and defenses
– Architectures for key management, attestation, patching and updating firmware and software
– Architectures for isolation and compartmentalization/tamper-proof execution
– Architectures for metadata based approaches to security and privacy
– Architectures for introspection, debugging, and root cause analysis
– Microarchitectural techniques for malware detection and adversarial resistance
– Secure storage, e.g. using emerging non-volatile memories
– Metrics and evaluation methodologies for secure architectures including languages/frameworks for early design stage security exploration
– Approaches to post-Moore’s-law security (secure-accelerator designs will ideally be in the context of an end-to-end application)
– Microarchitectural design patterns for security
– Social processes for creating security in large scale designs
– Secure architectures for domains such as voting machines, implantable medical devices, automotive, Internet of Things, and data centers.
Please see the Write for Us page and the general author guidelines for more information. Please submit electronically through ScholarOne Manuscripts, selecting this special-issue option.